What is the best time to visit Namibia for your private vacation? Our destination experts share an overview on the seasons and when to go.
The climate in Namibia is distinguished separately within its vast landscapes – from the deserts in the west and east, to the fertile north. The Namib Desert is particularly dry, and the Kalahari Desert rains a bit more. The daily temperatures vary from 25°C to 33°C. At night, on the other hand, it can be really cold, especially in winter between May and September. Within a few hours, temperatures drop by more than 20°C.
The Atlantic Coast, on the other hand, is cool in the summer due to the cold Atlantic Ocean, and is often cold, even in winter. Fog gives the already surrealistic skeletal coast a ghostly flair. The Caprivi Strip is the most precipitous area in Namibia, and is a location where you can visit jungle areas during your Namibia vacation. In Central Namibia, on the other hand, it is warm during the day, and cool at night. The weather here is determined by the altitude (1000-1600m).
Here is an overview.
- April -May/June: This is a great time to travel in Namibia. Expect crisp, fresh air, green landscapes and increasingly dry weather conditions.
- June/July – August: The Namibian “Winter” season is a comfortable time to travel with cool and dry conditions. Rivers and water sources recede creating good game viewing opportunities as wildlife congregates around waterholes. Temperatures can drop below freezing point in some areas. August is a very dusty month in Namibia.
- September – October: Expect warm temperatures with great game-viewing opportunities. However, there’s often a lot of dust all around. Wildlife are gathered around watering holes so if you don’t mind the rising temperatures, this time is ideal for game viewing.
- November: Sometimes the hot, dry weather will continue, but at other times the sky will fill with clouds and threaten to rain.
- December – March (Rainy Season): This is the Namibian “Summer” – expect warm to very hot temperatures with occasional heavy, wet conditions. It’s the best time for birding in Namibia.
Tips on the best time to visit Namibia
Would you like to explore Namibia’s breathtaking landscapes? Contact us for an obligation-free and complimentary quote.
Where do you want to go? What do you want to do? Be it popular sights or off the beaten path experiences, tell us your travel dream through our trip planner.
Our destination experts will get in touch with you to craft a completely tailor-made, obligation-free itinerary to match your interests and budget.
Once you have booked your trip, sit back and relax – we’ll take care of everything else. With our exceptional local team & 24/7 support, priceless memories await you!