When is the best time to visit Mozambique? Our destination experts share an overview.
The climate in Mozambique is tropical but differs in the following three climate zones: the northern coast, the southern coast, and the inland.
The climate on the north coast is subject to slight temperature fluctuations. During the rainy season (October-March), it is warm, going up to 88°F, while in the dry season it is only a few degrees cooler. The climate on the southern coast is more moderate and is subject to greater fluctuations, both in temperature and in precipitation. During the rainy season, it is very humid and hot, around 75°F in the day and about 59°F at night.
It is the hottest in Mozambique during the rainy months, with temperatures around 100°F not uncommon. The dry season (April-September) is significantly more pleasant, with temperatures up to 82°F, making it the best travel time for your Mozambique tour.
This is a mixed month to travel to Mozambique. It can be very warm and humid with temperatures averaging in the late 80s and there could be frequent cyclonic storms. A few parks may be closed, due to flooding so you need to factor that in while making your plans. The beaches in the south are your best bet around this time, with slightly more predictable weather.
- From canoe rides to fishing, there’s much to do in Zongoene, a beach lover’s paradise, located at the mouth of the Limpopo River
Much like January, February remains hot and humid with increased rainfall. It is not the ideal month to visit, but if you do, head south, where the weather is slightly more predictable than the north, which can witness several severe cyclonic storms around this time.
- Explore quaint beachfront beauty at Ponta do Ouro with its variety of rare ecosystems
- When at Ponta do Ouro, visit the nearby Maputo Elephant Reserve
March continues to be hot, humid and cyclonic, especially towards the north. The south though, witnesses better weather especially towards the end of the month as the rains abate and can busy around Easter!
- Visit the dreamy fishing village of Tofo – nowhere else are the chances of meeting whale sharks and manta rays while diving so high!
This is one of the better months to visit Mozambique, especially if you are a diving enthusiast, as post the rains, especially in the south, conditions are clear and cool and the waters ideal for diving. But you could get the occasional storm in the north, so be prepared!
- Explore the remote Memba Bay and enjoy fantastic snorkeling, diving, kayaking, sailing, sundowner cruises with a traditional dhow
- When in Memba, explore the local villages by foot or bike and get a glimpse of authentic daily life
This is again one of the better months to visit Mozambique – conditions are perfect for diving off the coast as well as staying inland. Temperatures usually average in the late 20s during the day, and the nights can average around 15°C – so make sure you carry a light sweater!
- Explore the bustling capital Maputo with its sandy beaches, colonial palaces, botanical gardens and colorful markets
- Enjoy Maputo’s active nightlife at its many bars as you eat grilled prawns from the Delagoa Bay with piri-piri sauce or other local specialties!
- This is also the time the city hosts the four-day AZGO Festival, featuring the best Mozambican and international artists in the arts and music space
This is a popular time to visit Mozambique as weather conditions are ideal pretty much though the country. Though its the start of the cool, winter season, expect temperatures to still average in the late 20s. There’s hardly any rain – and also is the time the humpback whales start to return.
- Embark on a safari in the Niassa Game Reserve and meet gigantic buffalo and elephant herds, as well as hungry predators, who look for unsuspecting antelopes!
- Experience authentic island life at Pemba! Visit the local market or Souk for handicrafts and traditional silverware
- Relax on Pemba Bay’s idyllic beaches that are perfect for swimming!
Expect warm, sunny and pleasant conditions through the country, as this is mid-winter in Mozambique. In the highlands the lows can drop to around 10°C so make sure you carry a few layers!
- The Quirimbas archipelago offers the largest marine park in Africa! Plunge into the azure waters and meet funny-faced dugongs, sea turtles, dolphins and humpback whales
- Snorkel at a reef off Benguerra beach and see hyperactive tropical fish in a range of fluorescent colors
- Known for its spectacular marine life, Pomene is perfect to snorkel, swim and go scuba diving or fly fishing
Expect the temperatures to slightly increase through the month, as the winter season is drawing to a close. This is also one of the driest months in the country, which means that it’s a good tie to start visiting its national parks, with high chances of wildlife sighting!
- After the end of the Civil War, it was possible to resettle many of the native species in Gorongosa National Park. In 2008, the park was reopened and now boasts an impressive variety of species, including lion herds!
- Explore Ilha de Mozambique, a UNESCO world heritage site and a melting pot of ancient history and diverse cultures spanning several centuries!
- Visit Bilene and be welcomed by pristine beaches and calm waters, ideal for swimming boat rides and watersports – don’t miss the pink flamingoes in summer!
This is one of the windiest months in Maputo! Expect temperatures to creep upwards of 30°C, especially on the coast. While it is most dry across the country, you can start expecting a few showers in the south, which also witnesses a varying range of temperatures around this time!
- Explore the Bazaruto Archipelago – five untouched and idyllic dune islands – and discover turtles, dolphins and whale sharks when you go snorkeling on swimming in its stunning coral reefs
- June-September is a good time to visit to spot humpback whales. Enjoy deep sea fishing, fly fishing, bird watching, sailing and horse riding in Bazaruto!
- Enjoy diving and snorkeling off Machangulo peninsula with its 12 individual lakes and vast expanses of bushland. Machangulo is also part of a marine reserve built to protect endangered turtles
This marks the end of the dry season, so expect the humidity levels to rise across the country, especially in the south, with frequent showers, or the threat of rain with cloudy skies!
- Head to Manda Wilderness on the Mozambican shores of Lake Malawi, one of the best fresh water snorkeling and diving destinations in the world
- Travel across three countries within the Great Limpopo Transfrontier Park for superb game viewing experiences, twitching, cruises and tiger fishing!
Expect hot and humid conditions through the country, with temperatures touching the high 30s, especially. As with much of Africa, this is also an unpredictable month, weather wise, as the rains can descend at any point, cooling conditions rapidly. The sea can also be choppy around this time, so all diving activities may not be possible at all times, so you need to factor that in as well.
- Browse through Inhambane city, one of the oldest settlements on the East Coast, with its colonial Portuguese architecture, the African culture and local markets
- From Inhambe head to Barra to snorkel with Whale Sharks and for horse riding, kayaking and sailing cruises
By mid month, the rains usually set in, so your plans could be thrown into disarray! It is still a busy time around Christmas and New Year’s especially around the coast, which remains warm and humid, albeit with frequent thundershowers.
- Take a leisurely canoe tour at the Govuro River wetlands through the Govuro Spring River layered with African water lilies, and flush with tropical birds and small aquatic animals
Go ahead and dream big. Enchanting Travels experts are here to help you plan the ultimate escape. Tell us your vision for the trip of a lifetime and we’ll make it a reality.
One of our destination experts will reach out to craft a completely customized itinerary. Book your personalized journey and know that our flexible policies have you covered.
Relax and prepare for takeoff, knowing that your trip is perfectly planned and you have a personal concierge on call 24/7. Our experts are here to keep you safe and handle the details.
What to Pack
Here are a few things that you should pack for your Mozambique vacation: Light cotton tops and trousers, shorts and light shoes, long sleeve shirts / blouses for boat cruises, as protection from sun and mosquitoes, jeans or casual trousers and a jacket for evenings and cooler days, rain gear, hat, sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen!
Discover the top 10 Best Luxury Safari Camps in Botswana!
For a memorable and life-changing trip to Botswana, choosing the best luxury safari camps is key. To help you find the perfect accommodation for your safari, here's our list of top 10.
9 Cultural Experiences in East Africa
Uncover the top cultural experiences in East Africa on your tailor-made tour.
The Bazaruto Archipelago consists of five untouched and idyllic dune islands, strung out in the Indian Ocean's turquoise waters and ringed by fine white-sandy beaches.
Bazaruto – Vilanculos
Enjoy a relaxing morning on the Ilha de Mozambique, before departing to the airport in Nampula where you will fly to Beira.
In the 1970s, Gorongosa was regarded as one of Africa’s finest game viewing destinations, with higher numbers than Kruger National Park.
Ilha de Mozambique, a UNESCO world heritage site, is a small island off the north coast of Mozambique.
Ilha de Mozambique
Enchanting Travels custom-designed our African Adventure to include all the specific locations and activities we were interested in. We did not have to worry about any details and were free to enjoy the most extraordinary adventure that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for our first visit to Africa, including activities at Victoria Falls, safari adventures with great guides, and all the accommodations were fantastic.
We were recommended by friends to use Enchanting travel to help plan our Africa Experience. From first contact to the conclusion of the trip Enchanting travel supported our every need and looked after every detail. Our trip was absolutely flawless and an experience of a life time. I would be happy to discuss our trip with any potential customers as we feel our agenda gave us the perfect overview of sights, culture and safari activities. We came home and feel we missed nothing.
This was truly an “Enchanting” adventure! The value and service was beyond excellent! The entire team ensured every detail was taken care of and went out of their way to welcome us! And every hotel and excursion was amazing, and we were greeted with welcoming open arms every where we stayed! Nothing was left to chance…and we felt so secure knowing Enchanting Travels had everything lined up for us! Even our lodges said Enchanting Travels was a top-notch company!
Do you have a vacation in mind? Personalize your itinerary with our Trip Builder.