Culture of Tanzania
Discover the age old traditions and rich culture of Tanzania with our travel tips.
The vast cultural diversity of Tanzania is most witnessed in the lyrics of the country’s national anthem Mungu Ibariki Afrika, which focuses on unity. As a patriarchal, community-centric culture, Tanzania considers family to be very important. By learning the basic Kiswahili language, such as Jambo (Hello), you will be a guest who is positively received!
The majority of Tanzanians (55%) are Muslims, and there are 35% Christians, as well as a few ethnic groups with their own native belief systems. The culture is very respectful to its different religions and Eid ul-Fitr and Christmas are usually celebrated together by all. Intermarriages are common, and it is not uncommon to find few Christians having more than one wife or Muslims drinking beer during some cultural ceremonies.
Culture in Tanzania embraces creativity. Tanzanian literature boasts few eminent writers – Shafi Adam Shafi, Chachage Seithy L. Chachage, Amandina Lihamba, Edwin Semzaba, Penina Muhando Mlama and Euphrase Kezilahabi. Makonde sculpture is quite famous in Tanzania and the country has its own unique Tingatinga painting style. In music, in among traditional forms, you may also experience during your Tanzania tour the new genre of Bongoflava, a derivative of American hip hop.
English and Swahili are the official languages spoken in Tanzania and Swahili is the national language of Tanzania. There are a total of 128 languages spoken throughout Tanzania, with most from the Bantu Family. Wildlife and nature are an important part of the culture, which is best experienced meeting local people during your Tanzania safari within one of the country’s spectacular national parks.
Go on your Tanzania tour with an open heart and you will have a marvelous time!
Where do you want to go? What do you want to do? Be it popular sights or off the beaten path experiences, tell us your travel dream through our trip planner.
Our destination experts will get in touch with you to craft a completely tailor-made, obligation-free itinerary to match your interests and budget.
Once you have booked your trip, sit back and relax – we’ll take care of everything else. With our exceptional local team & 24/7 support, priceless memories await you!
Culture of Tanzania: Travel tips
1. With the Islamic influence, you can expect the coastal areas to be more conservative and we recommend when you are not on the beach you should dress respectfully and discreetly, covering up exposed arms and legs.
2. During conversations, people are generally addressed by their surname or married name.
3. Tanzanians are likely to touch your shoulder or hand, and look you in the eye. Eye contact is very important if it is a conversation requiring trust, as avoiding eye contact implies that you are dishonest or not committed to what you saying.
4. People often talk at close range as standing away is an unwelcome sign.
5. Public displays of affection, anger, or other emotions are not acceptable as it is considered boastful and arrogant.
6. Punctuality is not considered important in the culture, therefore a degree of patience may be required.
7. Bargaining is not only a commonly used practice but also a necessary one. Unless you are in a high-end store where prices are fixed, please feel free to bargain.
8. There is a vast difference between the rich and poor, and pick-pocketing is quite prevalent. Precautions should be taken in towns and cities like in any other city worldwide. Make use of hotel safes or deposit boxes during your Tanzania tour; Check beforehand with hotel staff, your guide or police about the areas you plan to visit; Avoid wearing visible jewelry or carrying cameras and bags over your shoulder and just carry minimum cash; Keep mobile phones and wallets hidden from view.
9. In Tanzania connections to various accommodations in the national parks can be accessed by either road or, if distances are too far, by air on small bush planes. There are daily flights to the major parks. Charter flights are also available and guests are free to choose this option depending on their preference and budget.
Experience colorful culture and a deep connection between people and nature during your Tanzania tour.
Gorilla Trekking and Safari
11 Days: $ 10,890 / person
Lakeside Luxury and Wildlife in Tanzania
10 Days: $ 10,090 / person
Classic Northern Tanzania
7 Days: $ 4,590 / person
“This was truly an “Enchanting” adventure! The value and service was beyond excellent! The entire team ensured every detail was taken care of and went out of their way to welcome us! And every hotel and excursion was amazing, and we were greeted with welcoming open arms every where we stayed! Nothing was left to chance…and we felt so secure knowing Enchanting Travels had everything lined up for us! Even our lodges said Enchanting Travels was a top-notch company!”
“We have used Enchanting Travels twice to help us with our African adventures, and totally appreciate the details and planning. Visiting several countries in Africa requires transfers and planning, and Enchanting were on top of everything.”
“We received complete support from Enchanting’s travel experts from day 1. They were very prompt in developing an itinerary that fit into our budget and interests; answered all our questions with clarity and advised on various options and special arrangements we wanted to make.”
“This was the trip of a lifetime for my husband and I. It was first class service from the moment we landed. The ease of having everything pre-booked for us really allowed us to enjoy our trip. I would highly recommend this service for anyone looking to plan a trip like this.”
“We chose Enchanting Travels for a Kenya, South Africa and Botswana trip. We will not hesitate to rely on them in the future. Everyone from start to finish was informative and dependable. Enchanting Travels even surprised us with an awesome dinner experience for just the two of us.”
“We have traveled with Enchanting five years in a row. The travel experience with Enchanting has always been unique and memorable for us, for they offer fully customized itineraries that perfectly suit our needs. They always go above and beyond to fulfill our needs throughout our travel.”
One of the very best travel experiences I have ever had. We even got updates once at 3 am! He also made one change in one day’s itinerary to accommodate our wishes which was very wonderful. For business, I have traveled to Europe, Russia, all over Asia and South Africa but was blown away by all the beautiful sites in Argentina and Chile.
All the little touches made by our Enchanting Travel consultant, Amelia Edwards, were noticed and recognized by my wife and I. Thank you for making our milestone trip (25th wedding anniversary) such a memorable one! We look forward to engaging Enchanting Travels again for our next South American adventure!!
This was my first adventure as a solo traveler. But while I may have traveled on my own, I was never alone. I was well taken care of by a superb team of planners, trip coordinators, guides and drivers.
Do you have a vacation in mind? Personalize your itinerary with our Trip Builder.