What not to miss. Parik shares his personal favorite things to do in each Enchanting Travels destination.
It has not been an easy exercise choosing my favorite memorable travel experiences.
As the founder of an international tour operator, travelling is my job and my passion, and I have been lucky enough to have many wonderful opportunities to explore different parts of the world.
However, I wanted to share with you what I consider to be absolute must-sees in each of our destinations: India, Africa, South America and Asia.
I always get excited about taking our guests off the beaten track as this is the best way to experience local Indian culture and nature.
Equally compelling is showcasing some of India’s most iconic attractions, cities, and activities my favorites being:
- A safari through Kanha National Park in central India – the park is not only beautiful in terms of landscape, but the wildlife viewing and tracking is truly exhilarating.
- Staying in a tree house on a coffee estate in Wayanad, Kerala- being surrounded by lush green plantations and the smell of coffee in a remote tucked away part of the country brings alive the joy of India.
- A tour through some of the most exclusive clubs in India – from the Delhi Gymkhana and the Bangalore Club to The Cricket Club of India and the Ooty Club.
- Witnessing the annual Snake boat race in the backwaters of Alleppey in Kerala – this sheer celebration and communal joy of an Indian festival must be experienced to appreciate the intricacies of Indian life.
- Kayaking through beautiful waters around the remote Puyuhuapi Lodge in the Carretera Austral region of Chile – the fjords, forests, glaciers and sheer natural diversity of the region make it really feel like the end of the world.
- In Buenos Aires, I love going to a real “local” peña, which is a folkloric music venue/bar where local Salteños go to dance and listen to live music.
- Machu Picchu still ranks as one of the most inspiring and special places on earth.
- No place on Earth do you feel a sense of freedom and humility as you do in Africa. The sheer vastness of the landscapes, hair-raising encounters with wild animals and the feeling of being disconnected from the world makes Africa my favorite part of the world to travel.
- A walking safari through South Luangwa in Zambia is probably one of the most adventurous and exciting things one can do in all of Africa.
- In Nairobi being able to visit the Karen Blixen House where the evocative film, Out of Africa was shot. Once the home of Florian Keller, my fellow Enchanting Travels Managing Director, this visit is open exclusively to Enchanting Travels guests. Enjoy a dinner at the fireplace where Robert Redford told stories to Meryl Streep.
- Without a doubt, I believe the place on earth to experience the masses of wildlife that Africa is so well known for is the Serengeti in Tanzania.
In Asia I have found that connecting with local artists is a wonderful way of meeting the people and glimpsing their fascinating culture:
- A walk through the Rhododendron Forests in Bhutan before ending up in a peaceful monastery high in the mountains is literally one of the most heavenly experiences on earth.
- Snorkeling and diving in the Maldives is like a dream. Being surrounded by hundreds of colorful tropical fish in the bluest of blue waters is one of my most relaxing ways to spend a holiday.
- A cooking class in tiny local restaurant in the streets of Hoi An in Vietnam is like going back in time.
Part of the beauty of travel is getting under the skin of the country you are in. This is what drives my travel choices and what we at Enchanting Travels aim to deliver to all our guests.