When is the best time to visit Namibia? Our destination experts share an overview.
The climate in Namibia is distinguished separately within its vast landscapes – from the deserts in the west and east, to the fertile north. The Namib Desert is particularly dry, and in the Kalahari Desert, it rains a bit more. The daily temperatures vary from 77°F to 91°F. At night, on the other hand, it can be really cold, especially in winter between May and September. Within a few hours, temperatures drop by more than 68°F.
The Atlantic Coast, on the other hand, is cool in the summer due to the cold Atlantic Ocean and is often cold in winter. Fog gives the already surrealistic skeletal coast a ghostly flair. The Caprivi Strip is the most precipitous area in Namibia and is a location where you can visit jungle areas during your Namibia vacation. In Central Namibia, on the other hand, it is warm during the day and cool at night. The weather here is determined by the altitude (1000-1600m).
This is mid summer in Namibia, so expect it to be hot! Humidity levels will be high, making it quite uncomfortable and you can expect short, heavy bursts of rain as well.
- Escape the heat and head to the milder coastal regions with a trip to the Skeleton Coast, considered the largest ship cemetery in the world and one of the oldest landscape formations on earth
This is easily the hottest and wettest time in Namibia! Expect temperatures in the mid 80s but intense humidity means that it could feel a lot warmer! The coast though will still be mild and sunny.
- Head to the harbor town of Luderitz with its distinctive architecture, pristine landscapes and varied wild and marine life
While March is not as hot as February in Namibia, it is still quite rainy. Expect day time highs to be in the mid 80s while it could drop to around the late 50s at night.
- With rain covering most of Namibia, head to the slightly drier Kunene region in Namibia’s remote northwest and explore its cultural heritage by spending time with the Himba people
April marks springtime in Namibia, when the country is at its greenest and the weather is largely mild, making it a good time to visit.
- Head to the Namib Sand Sea, a UNESCO World Heritage site, and marvel at the sand dunes and the barren beauty of this coastal desert
May is one of the better times to travel to the Kalahari Desert. Overall, temperatures are pleasant with the lows averaging around 48°F. The rains are at a minimum, making this a good time to visit.
- A trip to the imposing and starkly arid Kalahari Desert with its sand and rock formations, created over 60 million years of erosion, is a must-do at this time of the year
With winter approaching, conditions are getting drier, which means it will be easier to spot wildlife, making this a great time to head for safaris! There is hardly any rain around this time, so expect conditions to get cooler, especially during the nights with an average temperature of around 7°C.
- Dry conditions make it a good time to head to the Mudumu Park in Namibia
- Explore the palm-lined promenades, generous gardens and resorts in Swakopmund, a former German colony turned green oasis in Namibia’s desert landscape
This is probably the driest month of the year in Namibia. Temperatures during the day are mild, averaging around 68°F while minimum temperatures hover around 42°F, sometimes dropping to below freezing at night.
- Marvel at over 100 species of mammals and the famous Etosha Salt Pans on your safari through Etosha National Park
- Explore the Gondwana Sperrgebiet Rand Park near Aus with its wide diversity of landscapes
This is peak season in Namibia with wonderfully cool and dry conditions across the country. So remember to book well in advance!
- Discover Erongo, an extinct ancient volcano complex ago with incredible views of rock formations, giant granite rocks and thousands of ancient Bushman paintings
- Head to the Waterberg Plateau for a safari where you will encounter rhinos, giraffes, antelopes, jackals, cheetahs and leopards and over 200 bird species
- Visit the town of Rundu in the northeast of the country for dynamic cultural encounters, warm and friendly locals, and delicious local cuisine
The weather in September is similar to that in August and July, but with slightly warmer temperatures. Maximum temperatures can touch around 86°F around this time, so don’t forget your hats!
- Hike through the Fish River Canyon, the second largest canyon in the world
- Explore curious rock formations and dry valleys of Palmwag or go wildlife tracking for a chance to witness rare desert elephants and rhinos
- Weather wise, this is a good time to head to the Caprivi Strip in the northwest of the country for fantastic game drives and mokoro or dugout canoe rides
This is usually the last winter month in Namibia. Temperatures will steadily rise after this and you can definitely start expecting more rain than in the last few months!
- This is the best time to spot humpback, minke and southern right whale off the coast and a catamaran cruise around Walvis Bay is the perfect opportunity to so
- Discover the NamibRand Reserve in the southern part of the country, created by former farm owners to protect the unique and diverse ecosystem of this region
November is characterized by unpredictable weather in Namibia. From hot sunny days to the early monsoon thundershowers, expect anything!
- Savor remnants of a German colonial past in the architecture and even the food in Namibia’s tranquil capital Windhoek
Expect rising temperatures and thunderstorm as summer officially sets in Namibia around this time. The average daytime temperature is usually around 86°F and short, sharp afternoon thundershowers are fairly common!
- Watch the sun rise over 300-meter-high dunes at Sossusvlei, a mudflat in the Namib Desert
Go ahead and dream big. Enchanting Travels experts are here to help you plan the ultimate escape. Tell us your vision for the trip of a lifetime and we’ll make it a reality.
One of our destination experts will reach out to craft a completely customized itinerary. Book your personalized journey and know that our flexible policies have you covered.
Relax and prepare for takeoff, knowing that your trip is perfectly planned and you have a personal concierge on call 24/7. Our experts are here to keep you safe and handle the details.
Best time to visit Namibia by season
April -May/June: This is a great time to travel in Namibia. Expect crisp, fresh air, green landscapes and increasingly dry weather conditions.
June/July – August: The Namibian “Winter” season is a comfortable time to travel with cool and dry conditions. Rivers and water sources recede creating good game viewing opportunities as wildlife congregates around waterholes. Temperatures can drop below freezing point in some areas. August is a very dusty month in Namibia.
September – October: Expect warm temperatures with great game-viewing opportunities. However, there’s often a lot of dust all around. Wildlife are gathered around watering holes so if you don’t mind the rising temperatures, this time is ideal for game viewing.
November: Sometimes the hot, dry weather will continue, but at other times the sky will fill with clouds and threaten to rain.
December – March (Rainy Season): This is the Namibian “Summer” – expect warm to very hot temperatures with occasional heavy, wet conditions. It’s the best time for birding in Namibia.
What to Pack
Pack things that you would normally wear in a warm climate. In the parks and resorts clothing is generally casual. A few suggested items include good quality sunglasses – preferably polarized, a flashlight, if you wear contact lenses, we recommend that you bring along a pair of glasses in case you get irritation from the dust, a southern African bird guide if you are a keen bird watcher, personal toiletries (basic amenities are supplied by most establishments), malaria tablets (if applicable), moisturising cream and suntan lotion – SPF 20 or higher recommended, basic medical kit (aspirin, plasters, Imodium, antiseptic cream, Antihistamine cream etc), camera equipment and plenty of film/memory sticks, waterproof/dustproof bag/cover for your camera, and binoculars. Please bear in mind that scheduled airlines in southern Africa generally impose a weight restriction of 20 kg per economy class traveller, and 30 kg for business class. Please check with your Trip Coordinator about the specific luggage restrictions for your flights.
Winter Travel: Best Destinations For A Warm Escape
Put on your traveling shoes and go exploring this winter because we have a list of warm and sunny destinations that are begging to be explored!
10 Exciting Reasons Why You Should Visit Namibia Now
Few countries, if any, can claim limitless horizons, stark landscapes, harsh environs and untamed wilderness, complemented by rare beauty, great scenery, a pleasant climate, few people, a beautiful coastline, one of Africa's greatest game parks and, the world’s oldest desert…Welcome to Namibia!
The Best Places to Visit in 2019 – Dream Destinations for Your Next Vacation
Inspired by Travel+Leisure’s masterlist of the best places to visit in 2019, let’s whisk you away on your magical journey of a lifetime.
Wings Over Namibia and South Africa
13 Days: $ 12,690 / person
10 Days: $ 11,590 / person
Etosha National Park is home to over 100 mammals, including the rare black rhino, elephants, wildebeest, zebra, buffalo, antelope, hyena, as well as lions, cheetahs and leopards.
Etosha (von Lindequist Gate)
Enchanting Travels custom-designed our African Adventure to include all the specific locations and activities we were interested in. We did not have to worry about any details and were free to enjoy the most extraordinary adventure that was a once-in-a-lifetime experience for our first visit to Africa, including activities at Victoria Falls, safari adventures with great guides, and all the accommodations were fantastic.
We were recommended by friends to use Enchanting travel to help plan our Africa Experience. From first contact to the conclusion of the trip Enchanting travel supported our every need and looked after every detail. Our trip was absolutely flawless and an experience of a life time. I would be happy to discuss our trip with any potential customers as we feel our agenda gave us the perfect overview of sights, culture and safari activities. We came home and feel we missed nothing.
This was truly an “Enchanting” adventure! The value and service was beyond excellent! The entire team ensured every detail was taken care of and went out of their way to welcome us! And every hotel and excursion was amazing, and we were greeted with welcoming open arms every where we stayed! Nothing was left to chance…and we felt so secure knowing Enchanting Travels had everything lined up for us! Even our lodges said Enchanting Travels was a top-notch company!
Do you have a vacation in mind? Personalize your itinerary with our Trip Builder.